Thursday, September 16, 2010

Macbeth, Why?

"Be bloody, bold, and resolute. Laugh to scorn the power of Man."


I figured I'd take the time to explain the quote. It's ten past one in the morning right now as I start writing. I went to bed just past eleven, but after a good hour of tossing and turning I decided that I needed to tire myself out a bit more thoroughly.
That quote that I have sitting on the top of my blog is one of my personal favourites. To start with, I really like Macbeth. Everyone in my high school system has to read three Shakespeare plays during their career of English classes. I went into those plays fully intending to enjoy them. Some people whine and complain about Shakespearean English. That bugs me. Don't knock it 'till you try it, right? Well I tried it. I had fun. Macbeth was my favourite easily, followed closely by Hamlet. Merchant of Venice wasn't as fun, but still enjoyable.
That quote of mine is actually spoken by the witches as they try to convince Macbeth to murder the king. I try not to think about that bit. Shakespearean villains seem to have a history of giving good advice. There's Polonius in Hamlet, and nearly everybody in Merchant of Venice. This is no exception.
So why do I like the quote so much? Well I use it as a sort of motto. An approach to life. To the first part, I believe in being decisive. If I were to let myself, I'd be poor at making decisions, so I make a conscious effort to make a choice then stick to it. I don't let myself regret it either, if it works out badly. Learn from it, of course, but never regret. Be resolute.
The second part I like even more though... "Laugh to scorn the power of Man." That's perfect. That sums up everything.  Man's power is temporary and fleeting. Everywhere in the world and throughout history we see Man trying to assert himself over fellow Man. This is Man at his weakest. Laugh to scorn his power. Laugh in the face of  the temptations of this world: the materialism, the hedonism, the self-worship. Vanity of vanities; all is vanity (Ecclesiastes).  The only true power is God's, and only comes to us through Him. Laugh at the rest, scorn the rest. That's what I want to do.
As I finish writing and editing it's now 1:25. My eyes are feeling a bit heavier, which is a good sign. I have class at 9:30.

3 comments:

  1. :) I like reading your writing. A tiny window into the brain. Well done, sir.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It'll get better too, I hope. I'll open the window a bit wider as time goes on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete