Monday, October 3, 2011

The Holy Rosary

Yesterday my TLM parish celebrated the Feast of Our Lady of the Rosary. Father explained why the feast day was moved to the Sunday instead of the official October 7, but I honestly can't remember what he said. I'm sure the more learned liturgical buffs can answer that.

Anyway, it was a beautiful Mass. This was the first time I've had the opportunity to see Marian blue vestments anywhere outside of the New Liturgical Movement blog. Father had a Roman style chasuble, mostly white, with a blue cross on the back embroidered with an image of Mary at the transept.

His homily focused on the noble Catholic tradition of praying the Rosary, and the enormous graces associated with a devotion to the Rosary. There are fifteen promises that we traditionally believe the Holy Virgin made to Saint Dominic- promises to any Catholic who prays the Rosary faithfully. They are as follows:



  1. To all those who shall pray my Rosary devoutly, I promise my special protection and great graces. 
  2. Those who shall persevere in the recitation of my Rosary will receive some special grace. 
  3. The Rosary will be a very powerful armor against hell; it will destroy vice, deliver from sin and dispel heresy. 
  4. The rosary will make virtue and good works flourish, and will obtain for souls the most abundant divine mercies. It will draw the hearts of men from the love of the world and its vanities, and will lift them to the desire of eternal things. Oh, that souls would sanctify themselves by this means. 
  5. Those who trust themselves to me through the Rosary will not perish. 
  6. Whoever recites my Rosary devoutly reflecting on the mysteries, shall never be overwhelmed by misfortune. He will not experience the anger of God nor will he perish by an unprovided death. The sinner will be converted; the just will persevere in grace and merit eternal life. 
  7. Those truly devoted to my Rosary shall not die without the sacraments of the Church. 
  8. Those who are faithful to recite my Rosary shall have during their life and at their death the light of God and the plenitude of His graces and will share in the merits of the blessed. 
  9. I will deliver promptly from purgatory souls devoted to my Rosary. 
  10. True children of my Rosary will enjoy great glory in heaven. 
  11. What you shall ask through my Rosary you shall obtain. 
  12. To those who propagate my Rosary I promise aid in all their necessities. 
  13. I have obtained from my Son that all the members of the Rosary Confraternity shall have as their intercessors, in life and in death, the entire celestial court. 
  14. Those who recite my Rosary faithfully are my beloved children, the brothers and sisters of Jesus Christ.
  15. Devotion to my Rosary is a special sign of predestination.

Mary is our mother, the mother of God and of all believers. In these promises she reminds us how extensively she watches over us and is willing to intercede on our behalf. In each and every of these promises, we see reflected the famous truth of faith "Ad Iesum per Mariam", To Jesus through Mary.

Devotion to Mary is necessary for the devout Catholic. Our priest showed us the Wedding at Cana to demonstrate this.
From the Douay Rheims: (Jn 2: 1-5)

[1] And the third day, there was a marriage in Cana of Galilee: and the mother of Jesus was there. [2]And Jesus also was invited, and his disciples, to the marriage. [3] And the wine failing, the mother of Jesus saith to him: They have no wine. [4] And Jesus saith to her: Woman, what is that to me and to thee? my hour is not yet come. [5] His mother saith to the waiters: Whatsoever he shall say to you, do ye.

This event marks the beginning of Jesus' public ministry. Only the disciples and His family could have known about His status and dual nature. Notice how the story is worded: "the mother of Jesus was there. And Jesus also was invited". The bride and groom could not have known about Jesus as the Messiah, and they invited His mother first, and Mary interceded for them. She did for them exactly as she promises us: special protection and great graces.
Jesus' first public miracle, a powerful foreshadowing of the Holy Eucharist, was performed at the request of His Mother, because of the love that the newly married couple had for her.

SO, if we pray the Rosary with devotion, won't Mary do the same for us? Will she not bring Jesus into our homes, into our souls, and obtain His intercession for us?

Our priest recommended that every Catholic pray the Rosary daily. If we don't do so already, he suggested that we start at the very least with three Hail Marys first thing when we wake up, and last thing at night, to have our Mother on our mind at the start and end of our day. From there we can progress to a single decade. It doesn't take long. Our priest tells us that Mary takes what we offer and expands it. She will take our prayers, the little we can offer, and lead us by the hand to offer her more and more of ourselves.

To finish my post, I just wanted to include these two images of the Madonna which were made by Japanese nuns. I think it's lovely to see the Virgin Mary depicted in different cultural contexts.




































Ad Iesum per Mariam.

2 comments:

  1. Thank-you so much for sharing this!
    Your blog post is changing my life. Well, maybe it is God doing the changing using Mother Mary.

    - Reg.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am honoured that you would say that. :)

    ReplyDelete